Fall has arrived. The bright colors, brisk air, and the crunching leaves make it perfect for outdoor time. There is nothing like walking your pet on a crisp fall evening and letting them jump and chase the leaves. As wonderful as it sounds, fall brings allergies for some pets. Seasonal allergies significantly detract from your pet enjoying this wonderful season.
Pet do not typically absorb allergens through the nasal cavity like humans. Occasionally your pet can have similar symptoms such as sneezing and coughing, but most pet allergens are absorbed through the skin causing topical symptoms. Some allergy symptoms include:
- Itchy skin which results in constant scratching, head shaking, and chewing at paws.
- This can cause pink or red discoloration of the fur at chronically licked areas, especially paws, because of the saliva.
- Constant scratching can also cause hair loss and open wounds. The soft hairless belly is a great way to check for lesions—red crusty spots on the stomach often are signs of a skin infection.
- Reoccurring ear infections.
- Red eyes and chronic watery discharge.
Although allergies can manifest with different symptoms, the skin issues stated above are our number one way of telling whether your pet is suffering from allergies or not. Some pets suffer from year-round allergies while others are worse in the fall or spring.
If you think your pet is having seasonal allergies, we recommend a visit to your veterinarian to get your pet some much-needed relief. Mild cases of allergies that last a couple of months can be treated conservatively. In some cases, if the allergies are more severe or a skin infection has begun, your pet may need more medical treatment. Treatments are prescribed on a case-by-case basis and include but are not limited to:
- Anti-itch shampoos
- Ear medicine
- Eye drops
- Allergy shots (Allergy shots are provided for severe cases following extensive allergy work ups—allergy testing and a pet dermatologist are available if needed)
No one likes to be itchy and miserable when they are supposed to be enjoying outside time in the cooler temperatures. Make sure to obtain relief for your pet if you notice any signs of allergies so they can have a fantastic fall!