Fall is a beautiful time of year. Make sure your pet has a healthy and happy fall by following these tips:
- Check for ticks
Ticks are still alive and well even though fall weather arrives. Many tick species are active into the winter and survive the first frost. Eliminate leaf and garden litter where ticks can survive the cold, continue using tick control and repellent products, and check your pet frequently for ticks.
- Be careful when it comes to mouse traps and rat and mouse poison as many are very harmful to dogs and cats.
Direct ingestion can be fatal. Talk with your veterinarian about methods of pest control that are safe for your beloved pets. Be aware that your neighbors may be using dangerous rodenticides so if you think your pet has eaten a rodent—contact your veterinarian immediately.
- Mushrooms appear in many yards and wooded areas in the fall and some are toxic.
A small percentage of mushrooms are highly toxic to our dogs and cats. A guide can be found on the ASPCA website. If you think your furry family member has eaten a toxic mushroom—contact your veterinarian immediately.
- Feed your pet right as colder temps require more energy for your pet to stay warm.
Food generates body heat so pets who spend time outdoors need more food to stay warm as the temperatures fall. Talk with your veterinarian to determine what your pet needs.
- Protect your pet against antifreeze toxicity.
People often winterize their cars in the fall. This includes changing fluids such as antifreeze which can be deadly for your pet. One to two teaspoons of antifreeze can kill a ten-pound dog. Less will kill a ten-pound cat.
- Be careful with decorations.
Holidays include decorations. Be careful not to leave decorative items around the house where your pet can sample them. Gourds or other fall decorative items can be dangerous if ingested and can lead to foreign body obstructions.